Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I am installing Visual Studio 2008 and I don't know what to install?

Last time I installed Visual Studio 2008 I had a bunch of junk that I didn't need. I really don't think I need the SQL server and the crystal reports basic for visual studio 2008.





If you can help me out...and I didn't provide enough info I will add details and then if you don't mind sticking around and getting the best anwer :)





I also uploaded an image of what I can install...what should I install...I am going to install the C++ and C#, basic and web developer...if there is a website that has an explanation of what this stuff means...I will praise you if you would provide it for me!





The place of the image that I uploaded is:


http://storage.scottymedia.com/visual_in...





Hope to hear from someone :)

I am installing Visual Studio 2008 and I don't know what to install?
As a programmer, you should know what that stuff means...





The language tools just allow you to program in the language that is specified. You need to install at least 1 language tool if you're installing Visual Studio. Since they all use the same interface, you should probably enable all of them (it doesn't add much to the hard drive requirement, and they are all part of the same program anyway so each one won't be added to your start menu either).





Dotfuscator enhances the efficiency of your programs, and also resolves dependencies on architectures... Essentially not necessary unless you're really going for top knotch performance. Since you don't seem to be experienced, you probably don't need this.





The tools for redistributing applications are only necessary if you plan on making programs that will use advanced features. These advanced features may require separate software to be installed. Since they may not have that separate software, you can package your installer with the redistributable software so that when they install your program, they can install the other software with it. Again, since you you don't seem all that experienced with it, this is probably not necessary for you.





Unit Testing Tools are just that. Testing Tools. Unless you know how to use them, you shouldn't install this. Though if you're taking a class your instructor may want you to have them installed.





SQL Server is a database. Yet again, this is for more advanced users. You probably won't need it. If you do end up needing it later on down the road, you can always install it separately.


http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/ex...





Crystal Reports is also not all that necessary. It gets used by software companies, not usually by individuals.
Reply:It depends on what you want to do with it. The feature description on the right give you a description what each one does.





If you're a student and want to learn about a particular language, install that language.





If you have no idea, install everything.





It all depends on your requirement.


No comments:

Post a Comment